Sunday, December 31, 2006

Friday night's game

We had an excellent start for Call of Cthulhu on Friday night. At close to the last minute, I decided that my group would transition better with a shorter adventure that broke into action faster than Tatters of the King. Tatters looks like an AWESOME adventure, but the lack of action at the beginning would work better for a group that's more used to the feel of CoC as opposed to D&D.

So, I started them with the Haunting, the classic CoC adventure of all time. They wanted to play modern, and the Haunting is fairly non-specific timewise, so that worked. I won't include the spoilers in this post, but suffice to say that one of the characters left the house after ten game minutes and refused to go back in until it was daytime.

3 comments:

Cthulhu Joe said...

Tatters is definitely better for an experienced CoC group. I think you'd be better off running a series of one and two-session scenarios until they are ready for the extended type campaigns.

Arkham Unveiled has a lot of good Newbie Scenarios too, once you've exhausted the ones in the CoC Rulebook. Be careful with The Madman if you run it though. I've killed more PCs with that one scenario than any other.

Cthulhu Joe said...

P.S. The Madman is in the CoC rulebook, not Arkham Unveiled. I just re-read my post and realized it was a bit vague.

Matt Finch (ProCiv) said...

Yes, I was glad that I decided to hold off on Tatters. It deserves experienced play as well as needing it. From what I've seen so far, it's quite a masterpiece - but not easy for either the Keeper or the players.

The Lurker in the Attic looks pretty good as an early-on scenario, as well as the Haunting. I may do that one next.